Commentary about "Ana Mendieta au Jeu de Paume Concorde - Paris"

 This video explains a bit of Ana Mendieta's life, she was born in Cuba, but for some reasons she had to move to America with her sister, leaving  her family behind. This is very important because her art trajectory was created around this trauma of leaving all.

She has done short films and photographs during 10 years with several recurrent themes: history, memory, culture, passage of time and ritual. She interpreted them through the relationship between the body and the land.

I think this kind of art can make you feel things, can connect you with it. I knew her art, but I didn't know about her history and the explanation of her art. She is able to communicate her history, feelings, emotions, etc. with her films and pictures. 

Mendieta uses spiritual rituals, traditions... to inspire her. In my opinion being able to show how you are and to connect your life with nature is very difficult and it entails dealing with very hard emotions, so I admire her for the ability to create and imagine. Also, I love the fact that she worked with the representation of female body, I think it is one of the most beautiful things that we have.

The piece of art that appears in the video which for me is more surprising is "Anima, Silueta de Cohetes (Firework Piece)". At first, it didn't catch my attention, but in the end it reveals something. This project is her silhouette made with fireworks, when she lighted it up, she started filming and photographing. The last fires to burn out were the ones in the heart.




Anima, Silueta de Cohetes (Firework Piece), 1976


Comment on the video "Ana Mendieta au Jeu de Paume Concorde - Paris"

from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLDJk2pZQaI

Gender, feminism group

Comments