MACBA visit: Carrie Mae Weems

 


"LINCOLN, LONNIE, AND ME"

This artist is considered the best photographer from the EEUU and she works in different fields as politics, feminism, racism... She wants to take action.
The exposition consists of a video in black and white where the figures look like ghosts. It was projected in a place that was like a church and all was dark, thus, it has a bigger impact.

It shows characters and images that represent some moments of the United State's history. Presidents, spirituality, rights equality, ideal society and some more past events appear.
Weems, the creator, interprets some of the roles that appear.
One of the moments of the work that I like is when she tries to fit in a Playboy bunny dress, failing in her attempt. This action has a potent meaning.

My experience there was completely nul. It was the last exposition to visit and I was very disconnected so I didn't understand anything and I have to say that I was not paying much attention. As in the previous exhibitions I understood almost nothing, I was already discouraged when I went to see this one.
Now, I regret a bit because I have read the information about the video and I think it is very interesting, curious and powerful. As I found out the video on the internet I will find the moment to watch it more carefully.

Comments